These Ambrosia Scones are delicate and soft, with the tantalizing tease of coconut blended with orange weaving it’s way throughout every bite. They’ll make you want to smooth on some sunscreen and head to the beach for a lazy day in the sun – and a drink with an umbrella!
3 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest, divided
8 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
1 cup coconut milk (see Notes & Comments)
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
2 – 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice (adjust for desired consistency of glaze)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, and 1 tablespoon orange zest, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. In a small bowl, combine coconut milk and coconut extract, whisking well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms. (If the mixture seems dry and dough won’t come together, add more coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
5. Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 18 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
6. While scones bake, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon orange zest, and orange juice, whisking until smooth.
7. Spoon glaze over warm scones. Serve scones warm or at room temperature the same day.
Coconut Milk: Before measuring the coconut milk, empty contents into a small bowl, and whisk together to combine solids and liquids.
If you don’t use scones the same day they are baked, store in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Reheat briefly in the microwave to warm slightly prior to eating.
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: Medium bowl, baking sheets, silicone baking mats or parchment paper, pastry cutter, whisk, small bowl, levered 3-tablespoon cookie/dough scoop, zester, wire rack for cooling, juicer.
- Method: Baking