A long-time family favorite… Linguini with White Clam Sauce
Every family has a few recipes that have, over time, become traditional favorites. For my family, one of those recipes is linguini with white clam sauce. I found this recipe many years ago, before my children had even reached their teens. I’ve modified it over the years, bringing the current rendition to a dish our family considers pretty darn close to perfect.
My three children are grown now, and on their own. Two live on the East Coast, and the other lives on the West Coast. This makes family get-togethers a bit complicated to arrange, but we manage to do it on one side of the country or the other at least once or twice a year. And without fail, at some point my younger son will request Linguini and White Clam Sauce for dinner.
“Oh… the joys of still being needed by our grown children!!!”
I actually mean that… and I smile inside every time it happens.
Calling clam and pasta lovers everywhere!
This recipe has been a family favorite for many years! I don’t recall where I first came across it, and I have modified it slightly over time, but from the beginning it has been requested by my sons over and over again. I’m told that every time they order it out at a restaurant, they compare it to my version, and the restaurant’s version generally doesn’t quite measure up when compared to Mom’s secret recipe.
This dish is amazingly simple, the ingredients are easy to come by, and prep time is minimal.
5 – 6.5 oz. cans minced clams, in clam juice
6–7 cloves garlic, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons parsley, fresh or dried
1 lb. spaghetti or linguini of your choice
Grated parmesan cheese
Fresh ground black pepper
Fresh lemon zest
- Add olive oil to a large sauté pan or skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until golden and tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the clams and their juice to the pan and stir to mix. Add black pepper and red pepper flakes. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the clam mixture to a high simmer. Continue simmering for approximately 10 minutes, so the liquid will reduce a bit, stirring frequently.
- While the clam sauce is simmering, bring water to a boil in a large pot, add your pasta of choice, and cook according to the package instructions.
- Going back to the clam sauce, which has been reducing at a high simmer, reduce the heat to medium and add parsley. Allow it to continue at a low simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and simmer for a final 2-3 minutes.
- Plate your pasta, top with desired amount of clam sauce, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, some fresh ground black pepper, and a dash of fresh lemon zest… BON APPETIT!
This recipe will serve 4-5, unless you want to scrimp on the amount of clam sauce each person gets…
If you have clam lovers in your gathering, you may want to consider doubling the recipe!
As far as the quantities of various ingredients go, in our family – the more garlic the better! Think ‘shrimp scampi’ category when it comes to the garlic…
For the black pepper and red pepper flakes, if you like more spice in your food, feel free to increase the amounts a bit; just be careful not to go too far overboard or you will drown out the delicate flavors of the clam and lemon.
You can use either dried parsley or chopped fresh parsley. This recipe is quite forgiving and I have mede it using both.
- Category: Pasta, Seafood
Keywords: linguini, linguini with clam sauce