One of my most requested recipes, a delightful mix between fudge and cake brownie!
1/ 2 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs (whisked until blended)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/ 3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons espresso powder (optional)
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature, cut up into 6 pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with baking spray. Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Remove from heat and add eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. (Also add expresso powder at this time, if using.) Divide batter evenly in prepared pan, filling each of 12 “bites” 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes (16 minutes for more fudgey brownies!!) Brownies are done when toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let brownies cool for 10 minutes on cooling rack before un-molding.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
1. Heat granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a high heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber-colored liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
2. Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful in this step because the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
3. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2 minutes. If you notice the butter separating, remove from heat and vigorously whisk to combine it again. (If you’re nervous for splatter, wear kitchen gloves.)
4. Very slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of heavy cream while stirring. Since the heavy cream is colder than the caramel, the mixture will rapidly bubble when added. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils.
5. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to slightly cool down before using. Caramel thickens as it cools.
6. Cover tightly and store for up to 1 month in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove to desired consistency.
Once brownie bites have completely cooled, top with salted caramel sauce.
- Category: Desserts, Minis