This Chocolate Banana Icebox Trifle is an attractive upgrade to one of our family favorites! It was originally created years ago as an easily thrown together, no-frills, no-bake, chocolate banana icebox cake for my children when they were young and our budget was tight.
TheTrifle is easy, delicious, refreshing, and satisfying… All in one beautiful bowl!!
5–6 bananas (5 1/2 bananas for pudding; 1/2 banana for garnish)
1 box (11 oz.) Nilla Wafers
8 oz. (2 – 3.95 oz. boxes) Instant Chocolate Pudding
5.1 oz. box Instant Vanilla Pudding
8 cups milk (4 cups for the chocolate pudding; 3 cups for the vanilla pudding)
1 teaspoon banana extract (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
2–3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1–2 tablespoons Semi-sweet Mini Chocolate Morsels for garnish
1–2 tablespoons crushed Nilla Wafers for garnish
1/2 banana, sliced, for garnish
1. Set aside 2-3 Nilla wafers to be used for garnish. Separate the rest of the box of Nilla wafers into three equal portions.
2. Using 4 cups of milk, prepare the Chocolate pudding according to package directions. Put the pudding in the refrigerator to set.
3. Using 3 cups of milk, prepare the Vanilla pudding according to package directions. Put the pudding in the refrigerator to set.
4. Add heavy cream, banana extract (optional), confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract to the bowl of your stand mixer. You can also use an electric hand mixer. Whip the heavy cream mixture on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently fold the whipped cream mixture into the Vanilla pudding to create a mousse-like consistency.
6. ASSEMBLING THE TRIFLE: Using ⅓ of the Nilla wafers, layer them on the bottom of the trifle bowl. Spread ⅓ of the chocolate pudding over the Nilla wafers. Layer ⅓ of the sliced bananas over the chocolate pudding. Next, spread ⅓ of the vanilla/banana mousse mixture on top of the bananas.
7. Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with the top layer of vanilla/banana mousse.
8. Place the trifle in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours. Just before serving, garnish with sliced bananas, crushed Nilla wafers, and Semi-sweet Mini Chocolate Morsels.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Refrigerator