Banana bread is the ultimate in easy baking, luxuriously satisfying comfort food. Imagine what happens when you add gooey chocolate chunks to the mix… Sweet, decadent, banana bread perfection!
This Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread bakes up wonderfully as a full-sized loaf or adorable and convenient mini-loaves. Regardless of which size you choose, this scrumptious treat is sure to disappear from your counter faster than you can say, “Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread!”
Easy to grab-n-go when you’re in a rush, and even easier for a quick late-night snack when it’s dark in the kitchen and you don’t want to make a lot of noise!
I’ve used a blend of whole wheat flour and regular all-purpose flour for this, used butter in place of the vegetable oil most banana bread recipes call for, and used brown sugar to deepen the flavor.
You can easily use all whole wheat flour or all regular flour. You can swap out the butter for regular vegetable oil or even coconut oil, and use coconut or maple sugar in place of the brown sugar. I’ve made the recipe both ways – using butter and brown sugar, and also with the substitutions of coconut oil and coconut sugar. The results were equally amazing!
You might even consider adding a bit of toasted coconut and a drizzle of melted chocolate sauce over the top if you really want to amp up the mix of flavors. The options are endless!
4 medium overly ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 ½ cups, mashed)
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup brown sugar (or substitute with coconut or maple sugar)
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup sour cream
¾ cups whole wheat flour
¾ regular all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Prepare one 9” x 5” inch bread loaf pan or one 8-cavity 3.8” x 2.5” mini-loaf pan. Coat with baking spray, or shortening and a dusting of flour.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, melted butter (or coconut oil), brown sugar (or coconut sugar), eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended together.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add flour mixture to liquid mixture, and fold until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, or divide evenly into 8-cavity mini loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until center is just set for a full-size loaf. Bake 25-30 minutes for mini-loaves.
6. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let loaf (loaves) cool on wire rack for an additional 20 minutes. Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey over the top.
Store in airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, or in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. This bread can be kept frozen for 2-4 weeks. Wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap, and store in ziplock bag.
9″ by 5″ bread loaf pan or 8-cavity 3.8″ x 2.5″ mini-loaf pan
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana bread, chocolate chunk banana bread