Making your own homemade graham cracker crust is quick and amazingly easy. The ingredients are minimal and easy to keep on hand for whenever the mood to make a pie hits you.
1 ½ cups (approx. 10 graham cracker sheets), finely ground graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Pulverize your graham crackers in a food processor, or place them in a large ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into fine, sandy crumbs.
3. Add sugars, melted butter and cinnamon (optional) to the graham cracker crumbs, and pulse your food processor until the mixture is blended. You can also toss everything together in a bowl using a fork. The crumb mixture should be well-combined and look slightly damp.
4. Transfer crumb mixture into your 8” or 9” pie pan or tart pan, and press them tightly into the bottom of the pan. A pastry tamper or the bottom of a clean glass or measuring cup works well for this. This recipe will also work for cheesecake in a 9” or 10” springform pan.
5. Using your fingers, press the crumbs firmly all around the sides of the pie pan, and tidy up the top edges.
6. Bake at 350° F for 7 – 10 minutes. Cool.
Generally, you’ll want to make your pie crust as the first step of your pie or tart recipe, so the crust has time to cool while you prepare the filling.
Keywords: pie crust, graham cracker crust