Clotted Cream is a famously decadent spreadable cream that is the highlight of all classic British teas. Just think “Downton Abby!” Now, making it yourself in your own kitchen has never been easier. Simply put some heavy cream in your Instant Pot, push a few buttons, and leave it to cook while you whip up a batch of scones and relax with a good book.
1 quart (32 oz.) heavy cream
. Pour the heavy cream directly into the Instant Pot. Close the lid (no need to set the vent, since we’re not pressure cooking). Press the YOGURT button and then press the ADJUST button until it says BOIL.
2. When the machine beeps, and has reached the boil stage, press the KEEP WARM button and let it go for 8-10 hours. I let mine go for 10 hours.
3. Turn the machine off, if it doesn’t automatically turn itself off after 10 hours, and carefully remove the pot. Let it cool at room temperature without disturbing, then refrigerate the pot, covered, as is for 12 hours. I use a lid from one of my saucepans that is about the same size as the Instant Pot insert. It doesn’t matter what you use, as long as it will cover the top of the pot.
4. After 12 hours, remove the pot from the refrigerator. Carefully scoop off the thickened layer of clotted cream, leaving the thin liquid behind. It’s okay if you get some of the thinner liquid into your clotted cream. Just mix it in as you are blending the clotted cream.
5. Once you have skimmed all of the top layer of clotted cream off the top and into another bowl, stir and blend the clotted cream until it becomes relatively smooth and creamy.
6. Spoon your clotted cream into a glass jar with a tight lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
7. The clotted cream will keep in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
I like to start my Instant Pot clotted cream in the morning, when I wake up. That way, I can put it in the refrigerator before I go to bed in the evening, and wake up to a finished product!
Equipment needed: Instant Pot
The leftover liquid can be used to make scones.
- Category: Toppings
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: British tea-time
Keywords: homemade clotted cream, clotted cream made with Instant Pot