Excellent!! Can also convert recipe to Lemon Cream Scones by replacing with lemon zest and lemon extract.
2 1/2 cups all -purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) cold salted butter, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided (or use 1 beaten egg in place of 1 tablespoon cream for sugar topping)
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add orange zest, stirring well.
4. In a liquid measuring cup, combine 2/3 cup cream and orange extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If the mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.). Working gently, bring the mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2 ¼ fluted round cutter, cut 12 scones, rerolling scraps as needed. Place scones 2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet.
6. Brush scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream (or use beaten egg), and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
7. Bake until scones are lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes.
8. Serve with Strawberry curd, if desired
- Category: Scones, Dessert